W.H. Peach & Co


Drawing offices of W.H. Peach & Co, Stafford, 1963 (Staffordshire Arts & museum Service)

Drawing offices of W.H. Peach & Co, Stafford, 1963 (Staffordshire Arts & museum Service)


William Henry Peach had begun his shoemaking business on North Street, Stafford by 1881, when he employed 71 men, 41 women and 11 girls. The company had moved to new premises on George Street by 1888, and moved again to Fancy Walk in 1905. As was the case with most of Stafford’s boot and shoe manufacturers, W.H. Peach & Co specialised in women’s shoes, and the company’s main brands were ‘Fedora’ and ‘Marchioness’.

In 1920 the company was purchased by Lotus Ltd in order to make Lotus and Delta brand shoes for distribution by Lotus.

In 1957 it was reconstituted as a shopfitting firm, taking over the shopfitting, upholstery and joinery departments of Lotus Ltd. W.H. Peach & Co provided shopfitting services for Lotus & Delta shoe shops, as well as competing in the wider shoe shop market, and were based at 20 Sandon Road. In this form, the company operated throughout the rest of the 1950s and into the 1960s.

This entry was posted in Associated industries, Boot & shoe making companies, Stafford. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *